- 3/4 cup (12 tablespoons (170unsalted butter, at room temperature, at least 65°F)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons (85cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (1/2 teaspoon if you use salted butter)
- 1 1/2 cups (298sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 5 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 3 tablespoons (43milk
- 2 tablespoons (14King Arthur Cake Enhancer (optional)
- 1 3/4 cups + 2 tablespoons (220All-Purpose Flour
- Preheat the oven to 350°Lightly grease a 9″ x 5″ x 2 3/4″ loaf pan, or a 12″ x 4″ x 4″ tea loaf pan. To avoid overflow, be SURE to use the correct size pan!
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat together the butter, cream cheese, salt, sugar, baking powder, vanilla extract, and almond extract until well combined.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition; the mixture may look slightly curdled/grainy. After you’ve added the final egg, beat at high speed for 3 minutes, then stir in the milk.
- Add the cake enhancer, then sprinkle in the flour gradually, with the mixer going at low speed. Mix just until combined. The batter will be smooth and thick, but still pourable. Pour and scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
- Set the cake on a baking sheet, for easiest handling and as a precaution against potential overflow (which shouldn’t happen if you use the correct size pan). Bake it for 55 minutes (for either size pan).
- Remove the cake from the oven, and set it on a cooling rack. Insert a toothpick into the center; it should come out clean. The very top, right under the crust, may still be kind of soggy.
- After 5 minutes loosen the cake’s edges and turn it out of the pan to cool completely on a rack.
- Store wrapped at room temperature for two days, or freeze for longer storage.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American