- 113 g butter (~1/2 cup at room temperature)
- 198 g sugar (~1 cup)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 241 g Unbleached All-Purpose Flour (~2 cups)
- 113 g milk (1/2 cup)
- 354 g mixed berries (~2 1/2 cups)
- 50 g sugar (~1/4 cup for topping)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a standard 12-cup muffin tin; or line the tin with papers.
- In a medium-sized bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until well combined.
- Add the eggs one at a time, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl and beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the baking powder, salt, and vanilla.
- Add the flour alternately with the milk, beating gently just to combine. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl.
- Mash 1/2 cup of the blueberries. Add the mashed and whole berries to the batter, stirring just to combine and distribute.
- Scoop the batter by a heaping 1/4-cupful into the prepared muffin pan; a muffin scoop works well here.
- Sprinkle about 1 teaspoon granulated sugar atop each muffin, if desired. It’s traditional — go for it!
- Bake the muffins for about 30 minutes, until they’re light golden brown on top, and a toothpick inserted into the middle of one of the center muffins comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the oven, loosen their edges from the pan, and after about 5 minutes transfer them to a rack to cool.