Soft + chewy sugar cookies full of buttery, rich molasses flavor.
- 1 stick butter (softened)
- 145 grams brown sugar (3/4 cups approx.)
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp hot water
- 192 grams all-purpose flour (1 1/2 cups approx.)
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with a silpat mat or parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- In a small bowl, add hot water to baking soda and mix to dissolve. Then add the baking soda mixture to the butter and mix well.
- Add the flour, salt, and cornstarch to the batter and mix until all ingredients are incorporated. Make sure to scrape down the bowl so all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Using a small cookie scoop, transfer the dough to your sheet pan. Make sure to leave a 1-2 inch space between each cookie to account for spreading.
- Bake for 10-14 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Let cookies cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Category: Dessert